Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Found Foote Photo #2: Claydon Bro's CONTINUED
Norman Claydon, the grandson of the founders of Claydon Brothers Contractors, shared this photo with us. He started at Claydon as as labourer and ended as secretary-treasurer.
The company closed its doors in approx. 1971.
* * *
From the City of Winnipeg's Historical Buildings Committee report on 626 Wardlaw Avenue:
"Claydon Brothers was founded in 1904 by Ebenezer (1881-1954) and Arthur Claydon, two of the five Claydon brothers. Ebenezer Claydon was born in Deeping St. James, Lincolnshire, England in 1881. After receiving his education in England, he immigrated to Canada in 1902, coming to Winnipeg shortly thereafter and establishing the general contracting firm Claydon Brothers in 1904. During his career, Ebenezer Claydon was also president of the Winnipeg Builders Exchange and vice-president of the Canadian Construction Association.
A third brother, Ernest, came to Winnipeg and joined the firm ca.1912. Arthur and Ernest enlisted and fought overseas during World War I and Arthur was killed in action in 1917. Ernest returned to Winnipeg and rejoined Claydon Brothers as the secretary-treasurer, with Ebenezer as president.
The firm was reorganized in 1917 and renamed Claydon Company Limited. By 1945, it had been expanded to handle home and business fuels and to include five Claydons: Ebenezer; his two sons, Oliver and Gurth E.; and Ernest and his son Rowland. Ebenezer died on February 26, 1954 and Ernest died in 1976. J. Norman Claydon, a son of Gurth E., was also associated with the business in the 1970s and continues to live in the city.
Like other medium-scale contracting firms, Claydon Brothers also designed and owned some of the structures they built, usually single-family dwellings. All of Winnipeg's important early twentieth-century architects used this firm. Some of its better known and larger projects include:
Broadway Baptist Church, Broadway (1906 and 1914 addition)
Dominion Bank, 678 Main Street (1907)
Church of Christ, Sherbrook Street (1907)
Canadian Pacific Railway Immigration Office, Maple Street (1907)
Assiniboine Park, first Pavilion (1908)
Windermere Apartments, 224 Kennedy Street (1909)
Kennedy Building, 317 Portage Avenue (1909)
Havergal Ladies' College, 122 Carlton Street (major renovations, 1909)
Kenilworth Court Apartments, 44 Hargrave Street (1910)
St. Elmo Apartments, 177 Colony Street (1910)
W.J. Christie House, 365 Wellington Crescent (1910)
Ackland and Son Limited Warehouse, 67 Higgins Avenue (1911)
DeBary (Highgate) Apartments, 626 Wardlaw Avenue (1912)
Anvers Apartments, 758 McMillan Avenue (1912)
Brussels Apartments, 150-56 Lilac Street (1912)
Brown Block, 902 Home Street (1912)
W.A. Hossie House, 66 Waterloo Street (1913)
Sunnycrest Apartments, 667 Wolseley Avenue (1913)
William Whyte School, Powers Street (1913)
King George Hospital, 1 Morley Avenue (completed 1914)
City Light and Power, Terminal Station, McFarlane Street (1918)
St. Michael and All Angels Anglican Church, 300 Hugo Street North (1920)
Lord Selkirk School No. 1, Brazier Street (major renovations, 1921)
Isaac Newton Junior High School, 730 Aberdeen Avenue (1921)
Indian Affairs Industrial School, Edmonton, AB (1923)
T. Eaton's Company Garage, 349 Graham Avenue (1926)
T. Eaton's Company Mail Order Building, Graham Avenue (additional storey, 1926)
T. Eaton's Company Warehouse, 130 Galt Avenue (1927)
Princess Elizabeth Hospital, 1 Morley Avenue (completed 1950)"